Book Review: Happy Utopia Day, Joe McCarthy

Happy Utopia Day, Joe McCarthyHappy Utopia Day, Joe McCarthy by J.T. Lundy
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I love farce, and I love politics (okay love/hate politics) so this book is right up my alley. Seriously, how can you even pass up a title like Happy Utopia Day, Joe McCarthy? Lundy imagines Joe McCarthy’s utopia and then blows it way out of proportion, just like any good farce should. I doubt I agree with all the politics and presumption but it is a funny read without getting too preachy.

Hero and all around special snowflake Chris Thompson is a mostly honest customs agent (except for that Bangladesh thing he let slide) who, completely out of the blue, gets sent on a secret agent mission by the President. Fancying himself the next James Bond (ba da BA DA) he takes off on a mission that of course turns out to have a terrible twist, and he must decide whether or not he can save us all. It all centers around a secret program put into place by Joe McCarthy himself to save the American way of life, but has been horribly corrupted along the way. He encounters all the the things a secret agent should - Black Hawks, invasions, secret tunnels, a bouncer side kick, his best friend scamming on his wife, a college computer nerd, a Tri-Delt party, Indians….the list goes on and on. If you have ever wondered what would I happen if Joe McCarthy had gotten his way, well this probably isn’t it, but it’s still a good read.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contest!

Another CSN Giveaway - $35 GC